DISTRICT GOVERNOR’S MESSAGE
Welcome to the shortest month of the year! February. It is also the LOVE month when everything revolves around Valentine’s Day and demonstrating our strong emotions towards someone we care about. It hit me several weeks ago to design our February newsletter around this message of LOVE. So, I randomly selected 1000 Rotarians from D6600 and asked them to reply to the question Why Do I Love Rotary? I asked them to reply to my request in 50 words or less. The response back was quite remarkable. Most followed the 50 words or less rule. Others, as you will see later in this newsletter, did not. However, every single response was heartfelt in so many ways. Please keep in mind, the people responding ranged from Rotary International Directors to everyday members of many clubs in our district. There was even one member whose answer was that they didn’t love Rotary right now because their club was not meeting in person. It was still said with passion. After reading EVERY single response, I came up with the following conclusions:
- Rotary is very important in many member’s lives
- Rotary is family to many.
- Rotary is a key component to fulfilling the need to ‘pay it forward’
- Rotary to some is purely a way to support your local community activities
- Rotary to some is purely a way to support international projects to help those less fortunate
- Rotary is a way to connect with leaders in our communities and the world
- Rotary allows many to experience opportunities they would never have had the chance to experience if they were not a member
Originally, I mentioned to editor Sharon Trabbic (Maumee) that I would pick several of the submissions and have our graphic designer Shirley Hull (Oberlin) put them in little heart shaped ‘bubbles’ and scatter them throughout the newsletter. After I read them, I decided EVERY one of these little LOVE notes to Rotary MUST be seen. That is why you will find them in a separate document linked with this newsletter. You don’t have to read them all in one sitting. Just open them up every so often to get your Rotary LOVE ‘jones’ taken care of.
District Governor-District 6600
PS – And to the person that does not LOVE Rotary right now because we are not meeting in person…
We are doing that because we LOVE you and want you and your family to be safe.
PSS – Why do I LOVE Rotary? The answer is simple. I LOVE Rotary because of all of YOU!